PLATELET-RICH PLASMA (PRP)
Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) is one of the âBiologicalsâ that has been recently adapted for facial rejuvenation.Â It has also been used extensively in reconstructive plastic surgery, orthopedic surgery and oral surgery.Â It was first developed in the 1970s and reported in clinical use in open heart surgery in Italy in 1987.
PRP is a concentrate derived from whole blood.Â It has a greater concentration of growth factors than whole blood.Â For preparation of PRP, various protocols are used, with an underlying principle of concentrating platelets to 3â5 times physiological levels.Â Although not a panacea for every problem, platelet-rich plasma has been shown to be helpful for:
- Improving deep nasolabial folds
- Lessening hair loss in androgenic alopecia and female pattern alopecia
- Improving the retention and efficacy of fat transfer for cosmetic and reconstructive applications
- Improving rhytids (fine lines) and wrinkles
- Equally important – to date, there are no credible studies that have demonstrated adverse effects of PRP
At Fedok Plastic Surgery, PRP has been and is only prepared exclusively from the patientâs own blood using up-to-date, professional, sterile and clinically standardized techniques and equipment.Â Such attention to detail optimizes your safety and consistency of results.
Some clinical images of the use of PRP can be found here.
Information about other Biologicals can be found here.
WHY CHOOSE DR. FEDOK?
- Past President of the American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
- 30+ Years of Experience
- Facial Plastic Surgery Specialist
- High Expertise
- Individualized Care